Is Christmas shopping breaking your bank?? 5 handy tips to help save some $$$
This time of year can become quite stressful for many families with the extra financial pressure of buying gifts and food for Christmas.
Here’s 5 handy tips that can help you save some $$$$
- Check out shopping catalogues or use google to see who have the better price on your chosen presents
- Try shopping on gumtree or local Facebook selling sites before buying from the shops (you can pick up some great bargains for a fraction of the cost with some items still brand new in box) this time of the year is the best time to do it as people sell off things to get ready for brand new items for Christmas – a lot of them are in excellent condition too!! You can always ask if the seller will take a cheaper price. (Especially right now when they just want it gone)
- Sell some unused toys or household items on gumtree or a local selling site to get some extra cash so you don’t have to use a credit card or take money from your regular budget
- Think creative – why not try making a gift (sometimes it’s the small things or the thoughtful gifts that can mean the most)
- If you have no money for Christmas presents for your kids check out when your council pick up is on household items. (They usually organize them for this time of year) Many people throw away toys and outdoor play items in good condition in readiness for Christmas presents. I just found a little tikes basketball ring during our council pick up in great condition. I knocked on the owners door and asked if she minded me taking it for my boys and she said go for it – she even threw in a small basketball that looked brand new. I thanked her. Went home and hosed the dirt and dust off and it practically looks brand new. So you don’t always have to buy something to make the kids happy.
Christmas is a wonderful time of year to buy for one another. I love nothing more then shopping for friends and family to bless. But to me it’s also a good reminder that it’s not just about gifts – It’s easy to get caught up in all the buying and forget the true meaning which should be about connecting with one another to celebrate Jesus & share the love He has given to us with others.
Hope some of these tips help you save some extra $$$
Have a great weekend!